"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mock You Like A Hurricane

ITEM: So, the weather event known as Hurricane Irene has pretty much come and gone. Luckily, at Casa Carbonite, the damage was minimal. Many others along the East Coast weren't as fortunate. Irene had a very long reach and it seems that people either came through unscathed or were hit pretty badly. Millions of people are without power and the estimates of the devastation will undoubtedly run into the billions of dollars. While some complain about the media coverage being overblown(no pun intended), I am sure there are just as many who will spend the next few days picking up the pieces.



For my part, I spent an inordinate amount of time making light of the media's obsession with Hurricane Irene with a series of 'Updates' on Facebook. The response was pretty positive and I want to thank everyone who commented both on FB and in person. The intention, of course, was not to minimize the seriousness of the storm and it's effects. People who really know me understand that. It's an extension of my Level 4 HDM (Humor Defense Mechanism) and allows me to deal with the horrors and inequities of life.



There are worse things in the world than to be known for having a well-developed sense of humor. I worry that I become defined by it. A recent 'exercise' at work dealt with giving your co-workers a sincere compliment. Most of the comments dealt with work ethic, knowledge or dependability. The comments directed at me were generally about how funny I am. While I certainly appreciate that, it struck me as another example of how I can be stereotyped as 'the funny guy.' Is that what I want? I don't know. 

It's tempting to be 'on' all the time, to try to make people laugh constantly. You worry that if they knew the real you, they'd think you boring and unworthy of notice. Or worse...ordinary

To sum up: Being funny is better than being ignored. 



ITEM: Now, that I've depressed the hell out of you (and myself) I wish to remind those of you who are Facebook friends to participate in The Great Goatee Debate of 2011. I recently shaved off the dashing VanDyke I have sported since the mid-nineties (mostly to cover up the fact that I had no discernible chin to speak of).

Stare into the face of clean-shaven DOOM!

I have already traumatized my wife and child by surprising them with this new look, so now I need validation from people who have absolutely no real stake in my personal life!

If you wish to vote, please go here. I urge everyone to cast their vote because it's free and takes minimal physical effort. 

I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment